lyndajdickson

Books Direct

Books for the whole family

The Appeal of Evil

The Appeal of Evil - Pembroke Sinclair Katie has had a crush on Wes since kindergarten. Wes has secretly been trying to protect Katie all these years, but his actions have left Katie confused. "For every tender action, he always followed it up with abandonment." Now Josh Evers, the new boy and also the hottest boy in school, is showing Katie a lot of attention. But Josh is hiding a secret as well. Josh is a demon and he wants to hurt Wes by going after those he loves, and that means Katie.

As Katie struggles with her feelings towards both boys, she also senses that there is a blackness in her soul. Can she change her destiny? Can she ever really trust Wes after all the secrets he has kept from her over the years? Can she "save" Josh? In this battle between good and evil, who will win, and which side will Katie choose?

While well-written for the most part, there was a bit too much exposition, tiresome self-analysis, and wondering about "what if" for my liking. As Katie herself even says, "She could drive herself crazy thinking about all the what-ifs." Well, I don't know about her, but she sure was driving me crazy! There was also too much description of characters' movements, for example: "When Katie was done eating, she brushed her teeth and grabbed her backpack from her room. She unplugged her phone from the charger and turned it back on, placing it in her pocket as she headed out the door. After pulling the door closed, she turned and stopped on the porch." Totally unnecessary! And be warned, this book ends on a major cliffhanger. You'll have to read the sequel to find out what happens next.

All in all, this was an interesting story that kept me reading, and I am now involved enough in the characters' lives to want read the next book in the series.

I received this book for the purpose of providing an honest review.

3.5 Stars