lyndajdickson

Books Direct

Books for the whole family

Shine

Shine - Justine Edward "Shine" is full of inspirational affirmations of everyone's ability to shine in their own unique way. It provides positive messages reminding us that we are all special.

Justine's poetic words are sincere but a bit difficult for young readers. This is a book best read by parents to their children. It also provides a great starting point to talk to children about their differences.

Illustrated by Karl Gabriel (the seven-year-old son of the author's best friend) who is autistic, the drawings are simple and heartfelt. You can tell they were drawn to illustrate the words, which brings to mind the poignant image of a mother reading to her autistic son.

I read the ebook version and was disappointed to find that it doesn't contain any information about the author or illustrator (which is included in the paperback version). I also think the author has wasted a valuable opportunity by not including a forward or end-note explaining the idea behind the book or including any links to her own website or sites about Autism Spectrum Disorder.

I received this book for the purpose of providing an honest review.