lyndajdickson

Books Direct

Books for the whole family

Squishy Face and the Moon

Squishy Face and the Moon - Jennifer Oneal Gunn Squishy Face is frightened when she wakes up and sees the full moon shining through her window. But her mother (Big Mama) takes her fear away by telling her all about the moon, its phases, and its influence on the oceans.

This is an educational book designed to teach young children about the moon and to show them that they can overcome their fears by learning a bit more about the unknown. I can appreciate the author's intentions in writing this book but, unfortunately, it fails in the execution. There is no explanation as to why Squishy Face is suddenly afraid of the moon. By the way she speaks, she appears to be at least five years old and would have seen the moon through her window on many occasions. The drawings, also by the author, are amateurish, with a combination of drawing and computer graphics. However, I did like the inclusion of an illustration of the moon's phases. The sentences tend to run on and are too long for the target audience. Finally, the story ends rather abruptly; I would have liked to have seen Big Mama take Squishy Face back to bed, no longer afraid.

This appears to be the first book in a series. The author has dedicated this book to her own little "Squishy Face", her daughter Alezabeth Marie.

I received this book in return for an honest review.

Full blog post: http://booksdirectonline.blogspot.com/2015/03/squishy-face-and-the-moon-by-jennifer-oneal-gunn.html