lyndajdickson

Books Direct

Books for the whole family

Wish

Wish - Grier Cooper Fifteen year old Indigo lives in Connecticut with a mother who is emotionally abusive and drinks too much, a father who never comes home, and two little brothers she constantly has to take care of. Her wish is to attend the New York School of Ballet. As Indigo declares, "I've cast my wish out into the world and forces are at work, even now, to make that dream come true." But, between her hectic home life, a crush on the be-dimpled Jesse Sanders, and a nemesis in the form of fellow ballerina Marlene James, Indigo is having a hard time making her wish come true. As problems at home escalate and her father remains oblivious, Indigo dedicates herself to her ballet under the tutelage of Miss Roberta. But when it comes down to a choice between Jesse, her family, or ballet, which will Indigo choose?

This book is beautifully written, with simple yet elegant prose and near-perfect editing. There is an ongoing theme of flying throughout the book, and I wish (excuse the pun) this was reflected in the book's title. The scenes of Indigo's home life are heartbreaking, while the scenes between Indigo and Jesse are sweet and tender. Even though this story is complete, I look forward to sharing Indigo's future adventures.

I received this book in return for an honest review.

Full blog post: http://booksdirectonline.blogspot.com/2015/01/wish-by-grier-cooper.html