lyndajdickson

Books Direct

Books for the whole family

Sleeping Tom

Sleeping Tom - E.V. Fairfall Rebecca leaves her abusive boyfriend Sean and decides to change her name to Caden, which is a combination of her first name (Rebecca) and her last name (Worden). Her aim is to change her personality as well - to leave the submissive Rebecca behind and embrace the new, more assertive Caden. While hitchhiking, she is picked up by the abrasive Gabriel who relents and lets her stay on his couch overnight. She is woken up in the middle of the night to find a boy who looks like Gabriel, but isn't Gabriel. Turns out Gabriel becomes sweet and playful Tom at night and, in the morning, he switches back to being mean and violent. Does he suffer from a multiple personality disorder? How did he come to be like this? Does he know what happens to him at night? And what is the significance of the iridescent butterfly both Gabriel and Tom seem so attached to? As Caden gets to know Gabriel better, her feelings for him grow, but while she thinks of Tom as a brother, her feelings for Gabriel are anything but. Will Caden be able to make him whole again? And what will happen to Tom if she succeeds?

This is a compulsively readable book. I found myself constantly wanting to get back to it. I love these characters; Caden/Rebecca, Tom/Gabriel, and even the secondary characters are extremely well-drawn. I wonder if Caden herself suffers from a dissociative personality disorder, as she increasingly refers to Rebecca in the third person. The story is rich and multi-layered. And the food descriptions are mouth-watering!

Be warned, this book ends on a massive cliffhanger but, on this occasion, I didn't mind. I can't wait for the next book, Waking Gabriel!

I received this book in return for an honest review.

Full blog post: http://booksdirectonline.blogspot.com.au/2015/02/sleeping-tom-by-e-v-fairfall.html